Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fear, because of his Love for you

I called you so often, but you wouldn't come. I reached out to you but you paid no attention. You ignored my advice and rejected the correction I offered.

This is what happened at the beach. Her children were swimming out in the ocean.
She called them so often to come back in because they were going too far out.

So I will laugh when you are in trouble! I will mock you when disaster overtakes you--when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster engulfs you like a cyclone, and anguish and distress overwhelm you.

She saw her children getting too far out in the ocean again and now there is a decision to make.....

When they cry for help, I will not answer. Though they anxiously search for me, they will not find me. For they hated knowledge and chose not to fear the Lord. (The ocean current).

They rejected my advice and paid no attention when I corrected them. (Their mother's warning)

Therefore, they must eat the bitter fruit of living their own way, choking on their own schemes. For simpletons turn away from me--to death. Fools are destroyed by their own complacency. (Her children did not realize how small they were compared to the ocean and it's strong current)

But wait....there's more. Perfect loves drives out all fear. The decision was "I must save my children."

In a moment, a mother's love for her children overcame the fear of the oceans current, overcame the anger towards disobedient children, and she overcame the fear of loosing her own life.

Didn't God do this for us? his children. God came in human form. His name was Jesus. He overcame the fear of loosing his own life to save us, his children. He overcame his anger towards his disobedient children, because Jesus took our punishment for our sins.

Just like the mother in this story. She wanted her children to Fear the ocean and it's current for their own protection. God wants us to fear him so that we will listen to his wisdom. God wants us to know his love for us and know that what he is telling us is for our safety and protection.

But all who listen to me will live in peace, untroubled by fear of harm.

All Scripture is italicized above and listed below:
Scripture used Proverbs 1:24-33
Proverbs 1:7 Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
Proverbs 9:10 Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom, Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgement.
1 John 4:18 Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love.

No comments:

Post a Comment